Apr 13, 2021. By Aleena Mathew
As organizations adopt new technologies, IT operations become more complex. IT operational data evolve and grow along with the adoption and became an unmanageable state. This growth led to a situation where the IT teams could not process the entire data and accurately monitor the whole complex system. This is one of the major concerns faced in the traditional mode of operations. Moreover, the entire IT team is unproductive due to their lack of inefficiency. There was also a large number of resources that were underutilized that lead to a situation where resources were wasted. All of the above cases lead to a circumstance where the operational cost just shot up. This was detrimental to the business as it affects the entire business growth. So, sticking to traditional systems was no longer a solution.
That's where digital transformation took its place. The era of digital transformation completely took over the IT organization to a whole new phase. Most of the challenges faced by the IT team were addressed with the digital era. But, even then, to address these challenges and concerns, the IT operators had to evolve a lot around their IT systems and architecture. This evolution increased the complexity of the entire IT system; that is, the use of more cloud-based architecture came into the picture and the use of microservice management. A huge volume of event noise alerts and false-positive was created that leads to a chaotic situation. This is where the upcome of artificial intelligence was marked.
AI in Digital Transformation:
All of the above situations were completely handled out by the implementation of Artificial Intelligence for IT operations. The term AIOps was coined by Ganter, which refers to the application of combining big data and machine learning to automate IT operations processes, including event correlation and anomaly detection. The implementation of AIOps helped in achieving cognitive automation. The key challenge faced by the IT operators in the digital era was in handling every event noise and IT tickets that were generated. Most of the IT tickets generated were not getting resolved and being breached. The implementation of AIOps helped resolve the IT tickets automatically, whether it was an incident ticket or a service request ticket. The process of auto-remediation, auto-fulfillment, and auto-ticket routing have been established with AIOps.
AIOps Transformation Checklist:
Possessing all these benefits won't tell what the actual value of AIOps is? Every CIO's are overwhelmed with AIOps adoption requests, but at the same time fear what will be the success rate. Therefore, before the adoption of AIOps, the CIO's/IT operators need to make a checklist on AIOps. Below are few points on the checklist that should consider before the AIOps transformation project.
1. How easy is the solution to implement, configure, and maintain? Every adoption of new technology comes with the complexity of installing and configuring the packages in the production environment. The increased IT complexity is always a challenging factor in coping and setting up new environments. The implementation of AIOps into the existing environment is a crucial factor. The AIOps platform chosen should be compatible with the current environment and should not break the present architecture. Any platform chosen should come with ease of implementing and configuring and maintaining.
2. How much it helps me to improve my analytics and decision-making capability? Analytics and decision-making are two key significant factors in this present era of digital transformation. Understanding the true capacity of AIOps relies on this. The AI transformation should ensure that the system can ingest every IT data and automate the analysis process and provide the right decision. In this way, the IT systems are more proactive with intelligent analytics capability.
3. How much it helps to automate my IT operations? The key feature of AIOps relies on the automation of IT operations activities. But knowing how extensively can my IT operations be automated is the factor here. The promise of AIOps is great and choosing the right platform is the key to success here. The IT system should have the capability to completely automate the entire IT operations, which reduces the need for manual intervention. The IT team can focus on other important tasks.
4. Ultimately, what is the cost savings out of AIOps transformation? Every new technology adoption should come with a critical benefit of cost-saving, which is the ultimate goal. The promise of AIOps always relies on cost. With the implementation of AIOps, costs can be saved to a great extent. The operational cost can be reduced with cognitive automation. IT operators doing lean night shifts can be reduced with the implementation of virtual agents.
5. What is the total cost of ownership (TCO) of AIOps solutions? The total cost of ownership is one other major factor in the checklist for the AIOps transformation. Understanding the TCO with AIOps is an important factor. The cost of operations, the hardware cost, the cost of implementation, the people cost are all noted determinants. Based on this, the right platform should be chosen which can ensure efficient transformation.
6. What is the RoI of AIOps transformation? With the benefits and potential of AIOps, every CIO is 100% sure to adopt AIOps. But the real question here is, what is the ROI with the transformation of AIOps? How much will I benefit if I invest in AI? Can I catch back the expense made? In fact, yes, the AIOps transformation helps in increasing the RoI. The major factors contributing are that with the implementation of AIOps, the entire system's productivity has improved. AIOps solution can substantially reduce the number of hours needed to resolve incidents, making IT productive with the same resources and reducing MTTR by 45%. Eventually reduces the outages caused and helps in improving employee productivity.
To learn more about Algomox AIOps, please visit our AIOps Platform Page.